©Michele Emerson-Roberts 2014
If you have been saving the scraps from your handmade paper projects or if you have some scraps left from the “Décor Elements” projects here is another great way to use them up and show off your style! This project also makes a wonderful gift, just match the papers and embellishments with the recipient’s style.
- Any of the Arnold Grummer™ paper making kits
- A sunny window
- Blender, cello sponges and soft towels
- Personal paper cutter or scissors and ruler
- Scraps of white, ivory, beige, tan, and brown paper, or colors of your choice (think junk mail, brown paper bag etc.) OR scraps of neutral colors of handmade papers. (I used approx. 1/3 sheet of 5 different colors of handmade paper)
- Beacon ZipDry™ Adhesive
- Disposable brush for applying the adhesive
- 5 x 7 photo mat with easel back and photo
- Embellishments: Driftwood, river stones, twigs, natural feathers rusty wire or metal shapes, dried leaves and/or pods, moss
- If you do not have scraps yet, please follow the directions found in any of the Arnold Grummer™ paper making kits to create numerous sheets of neutral papers.
- When the sheets of paper are dry, cut or tear off approx. 1/3 of each sheet. (set the larger pieces aside for future projects)
- Separate the front and back part of the mat.
- Tear the small sheets of handmade paper into random shapes and sizes.
- Apply a small amount of adhesive to part of the front of the mat and cover that area with torn paper. Repeat this step using different shades and colors of paper until the front and back of the mat are covered with torn paper. Be sure to leave an opening to be able to insert the photo.
- Set the mat aside to dry thoroughly.
- Add whatever embellishments you desire.
Note: I have also done this project using pastel colors of handmade paper, some with flower petal inclusions, fancy fibers and handmade paper roses (check out the Lavender Roses box post for directions on making the roses).
These frames also are terrific to frame a saying or poem….match the subject to the style.