Friday, July 29, 2016
God Bless America
© Michele Emerson-Robert 2016
My heart smiles when I see our American flag waving in the breeze, when I hear our national anthem, or when I see a 4th of July parade. Even with some problems, this is still the best country in the world, so I send out dozens of Independence Day cards. Follow along to see how to create the two cards I’ll be sending this year.
· Any of the Arnold Grummer® paper making kits
· Blender, strainer, cello sponges and soft towels
· A sunny window
· Scraps of white paper (think junk mail, etc.)
· Scrap of red card stock to die cut
· Scrapes of blue (white core) cardstock to die cut
· White cardstock for card base (4 ¼ x 5 ½ cut and folded)
· Red cardstock for card base (5 x 7 folded)
· Patriotic image from an advertisement (or from the internet)
· Flag mold (acrylic paper weight)
· Embossing folders: SpellbindersTM SEL-007 “Blistered” (5 x 7) and Sizzix™ TH657489 Texture Fades “Americana” (4 ¼ x 5 ½”)
· Westcott™ paper trimmer
· Beacon ZipDryTM adhesive, double sided foam tape
1. Follow the instructions found in any of the Arnold Grummer™ paper making kits to create white slurry and cast one or more of the flag castings.
2. Allow the casting to dry.
3. Use the Stylus to lightly apply the red ink to the stripes on the flag.
4. Apply more ink behind the folds of the flag as shading.
5. Use the nib to apply blue ink behind the stars on the flag and the words “God Bless America”.
6. Dies cut and fold the center step card from white cardstock.
7. Measure and cut the blue (white core) card stock leaving a 1/8” border.
8. Emboss the blue cardstock pieces with the “Americana” folder.
9. Lightly sand the blue pieces.
10. Attach the blue pieces to the card.
11. Die cut the word “Celebrate”.
12. Attach the Paper casting to the top center front of the folded card with double sided foam tape.
13. Attach the word below the paper casting.
1. Cut, score and fold the red card stock to create a 5 x 7” card.
2. Emboss the front of the card with the “Blistered” folder.
3. Apply red & blue ink to the stamp with the Stylus tip.
4. Stamp onto a small piece of white cardstock.
5. Measure and cut the patriotic image.
6. Layer the image and the stamped saying onto scraps of blue card stock.
7. Attach both to the front of the card with double sided foam tape.